Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Three Lawyers in One Day

Much time has passed since my last update. Call me busy or call me lazy. Either will work.

Anywho, a lot has happened in the last few months and I'm sure I'll talk about it some time. But something happened yesterday that I just couldn't resist blogging about.

Because of the kids' ages, they must see individual lawyers. The lawyer asks them a series of questions in private (we couldn't be there to tell them what to say, damn) and then asks them to sign a legal document agreeing to be adopted by us. What happens if they don't agree you ask? I have no idea... I think we all go to more counseling or something.

Well the whole thing was a scheduling nightmare because, by law, all three boys had to see different lawyers at different firms. With a bit of luck, I managed to get all three meeting scheduled yesterday. Which meant the day was filled with a lot of driving around Guelph, waiting, shopping at Walmart, getting ice cream etc... Thankfully we don't pay the legal fees.

After signing the document, each boy is given 21 days to "change their mind" and call the lawyer back. Well, long story short, after coming out of his lawyer's office, Skyler turned to me and said, "I won't need to keep their number because I won't be changing my mind." Then he tore up the lawyer's phone number.

I asked him why he was so sure of that. He said because:
• 5% because we are the only family that has let him play hockey
• 95% because we love him

I almost cried. We then had a group hug on the lawn of a busy road. I'm such a nerd, I know.

BTW - the kids are obviously not "legally" adopted yet. It's a very long process but we think the judge will see the case by end of summer!



1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Rob, stop making me choke up.